5.05.2011

stumpy comp carbon 29er







First the basics, FACT 8m carbon frame, Reba RLT, 2x10 Sram drivetrain, 17.5" with pedals and bottlecage - 24 pounds. I'm guessing that with the barends and underseat bag, not much more than 24.75 pounds. Not bad for someone who doesn't give a crud about the weight, but it still is awesome.

Tapered head tube from the front, good transition to the Reba fork. Super stiff front end with the DT Swiss RWS quick release.


Side view of the head tube area. Sexy. Stiff. Smooth.

Curved seat tube. Keeps the backend tucked under you for good acceleration, and the carbon frame keeps the backend smooth. Also keeps the (limited) front shifting clean. Nice little feature, 2 bottle cages. My 17" Rockhopper SL SS only had one. Still haven't put a second bottle cage on, but I will.

Custom Sram alloy crank. 38/24 chainrings. I haven't ridden this offroad yet - freakin' rain - but the gearing seems efficient for my style of riding. This is mated to a


11-36 cassette with a X9 rear derailleur. Nice wide range, with only one big gap I've noticed that I would like a step in between. Look how sexy the lines on the carbon frame are.

Post mount rear Elixir R SL brake, 160mm rotor front and rear. Again, check out the lines on the frame.

Far away shot at the front end of the bike, how I see it. Bars were cut down about an inch on each side, and the stubby bar ends added for an extra hand position and better climbing. X7 triggers (please make some twist shifters Sram for 10 speed - the only thing I don't like so far on this bike), and lock on grips. Nice and comfy now.

First impressions? This bike is great, on the road. I really don't know how it is going to work yet off road, but the stiff bottom bracket and front end is inspiring confidence that the bike will handle like a dream. The seatstays are pretty compliant for running my tires at 70psi on the road. Should feel loads better in the dirt. The only real thing left to do for the bike is to get some knobbier tires and wait for the trails to dry out.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment