6.09.2011

transportin' things

The Transport is looking to be a very versatile bike, the large green bags of course carry a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four, with room left over. I could do the same with my Xtracycle, but having the fold down side racks on the Transport (I could have bought Wideloaders for the Xtracycle, but they aren't cheap), I found that I can carry other stuff also.


Bringing the wheels off of my Novarro Arriba S - also known as the Stubby - and the donor bike for the Xtracycle, to the shop for some spoke repair and cleaning. The Stubby will be coming back as my do-everything geared beater bike when these get done. It was pretty easy to do, just strapped the bottoms and tops to the fold down racks, and run a lashing strap around the tops for security. I used my old beat up (and to be replaced) Ortleibs in front to carry my clothes for the week and my lunch. Worked dandy.

Carrying Owen's bike to school for Pet Day. Just lashed the front wheel to the top and the fold out racks, and the fork leg also around the top rack. This allowed it to pivot into the turns just like the rest of the bike, and caused no issues for the 2.5 mile ride to Owen's school. Squirt the Box Turtle and Owen's helmet are in the giant pannier on the other side.

Crappy small picture showing a box being taken to FedEx. I forgot my long straps, so I had to use my belt to help keep in on with a shorter strap.

Front carrying duties are taken care of with this Wald basket. The bottom and top supports were removed from the basket, and it was simply zip-tied to the integrated Transport front rack. Works perfectly. A bungie net makes sure that stuff doesn't bounce out, and I use a stuff sack or a hip belt to carry small items like my phone, keys and wallet up where I can get to them easily. I put a reflective leg strap on the front so I always have one available (and makes me a slight little bit more visible), and you can see my front commuter light on the rack also.

Other things in the works for this bike - a nifty trailer mount for my Burley, new panniers for less "epic" items, and a new rechargeable light for the front. And of course, a write up of the changes I've made so far.

More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment