1.31.2011

update

So, it has been a while, but I'm still here. I'll get some pictures of the Chester build parts pile up soon. I've also decided not to sell the Hunter. I'm going to send it back to Rick for a refurb - and have shifty coasting part cable stop and brake bosses put on it! So I'll have a full on geared touring bike, the first one in a really long time.

Commuting has been going well, riding mostly the Xtracyle and the internally geared SimpleCity 8. I'll have some stuff up about those bikes soon, they have been in the stable for a few years now, and they haven't seen many changes. I'm looking for a replacement for the Xtracycle, the "donor" bike is getting old, I've had it since 2001, and it was a warranty frame from 1992 that I bought when I worked at REI. So the frame itself is almost 20 years old. Those old steel frames last a long time, even with the abuse I've put it through and the unknown amount of maintenance that should have been done to it, it is still in good shape, but it is getting to the point where it probably could be retired. The bikes in the running are the Trek Transport,the Surly Big Dummy, and the Civia Halsted. The ideal bike would be a Ahearne Cycle Truck, but unless someone is going to give me one, I'll have to settle with one of the above. I know I have a lot of promises of crap going on the blog, but I'll try and give all the up and down sides of the bikes, so you can see where my thought processes are at.

Meanwhile enjoy:

FROM STEEL: The Making of a Soulcraft from michael evans on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment